UBC is offering two upcoming workshops as well as an e-consultation for proposed updates to its Land Use Plan. Please show your support for the UBC Farm by attending these workshops on WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY, OCT 13 & 14! The online consultation will be open until Oct 15. Attendance at the workshops requires an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see below for workshop dates, times and locations. Thank you for supporting the Farm throughout this process, and thank you in advance for your attendance!
Updating UBC’s Land Use Plan provides a promising opportunity for the UBC Farm’s “Future Housing Reserve” designation to finally be changed. This change is very important for realizing the academic vision and goals of the UBC Farm, as outlined in the South Campus Academic Plan Cultivating Place. Notably, transferring housing density from the UBC Farm to elsewhere on campus would not only support the land security of the UBC Farm, but it would also promote affordable housing options on campus.
While we would still prefer that the farm be designated as “UBC Farm,” removing the “Future Housing Reserve” label is a positive and crucial part of moving toward securing the UBC Farm. Please show your support for the UBC Farm by participating in the Land Use Plan workshops and e-consultation, and please keep in mind the following:
- Amendments to increase housing density on other parts of campus make it possible to keep housing off of the UBC Farm. If you support the Farm and affordable housing, then these amendments merit your endorsement.
- Both the Alma Mater Society and Friends of the Farm advocate adopting “UBC Farm” as the new land designation instead of “Green Academic.” However, if Green Academic” zoning were adopted, Friends of the Farm maintains that this zoning definition should include the Farm’s correct 24-ha size, refer to the site name UBC Farm, and cite the academic plan Cultivating Place as the guiding framework for land use decisions.
To participate in the e-consultation, please click this link.
Workshops: October 13 and 14 (PLEASE ATTEND ONLY ONE)
- Wednesday, Oct. 13: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., SUB Ballroom, 6138 Student Union Blvd, UBC
- Wednesday, Oct 13: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., Tapestry, Wesbrook Village, 3338Wesbrook Mall, UBC
- Thursday, Oct 14: 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., West Point Grey United Church, 4595 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver
For more information, please visit Land Use Plan workshop page on the Campus + Community Planning website.