Dear farm friends,
We hope you’ve been passing a cozy hallowe’en weekend and enjoying plenty of seasonal treats! Please note the important Public Open House and Q& A Session
coming up this Tuesday, Nov 1st, regarding the Revised Amendments to the South Campus Neighbourhood Plan.
It would be excellent if you could attend and help to represent the interests of Friends of the UBC Farm in this process. If you are not able to attend on Tuesday, please take a few minutes to share your thoughts through the online consultation
(available from Oct 21-Nov 3
UBC is in the process of amending the South Campus Neighbourhood Plan for Wesbrook Place such that it concurs with the university’s overall Land Use Plan. These amendments must take place in order to retain the UBC Farm for sustainability research, teaching and community engagement, as well as creating a thoughtfully-designed South Campus community. The two key messages that Friends of the UBC Farm would like to emphasize are:
- Transferring housing density from the UBC Farm to other parts of campus concurs with Smart Growth principles and will help to create more sustainable, livable neighbourhoods on campus.
- Quite apart from the consideration of the UBC Farm, designing compact communities will make UBC a better place to live. For instance, densely-built neighbourhoods help to support:
- Mixed, affordable housing options
- Physical activity through walkable, bike-friendly neighbourhoods
- Well-serviced transit networks, along with associated air quality benefits
- Environmental benefits, such as efficiently recovering heat, water and organic waste
- Retail, recreational and child care facilities, enabling people to work, play, and shop in the places that they live
- A more vibrant sense of community and reduced experience of being a “commuter campus”
Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Place: MBA House, 3385 Wesbrook Mall
- Public Open House – 4:30-5:45pm,
- Q&A Session – 6-7pm
- Public Open House – 7-7:30pm
Please note that the Open House display boards will not be available during the Q&A portion.
Online consultation on the amendments will run from October 21-November 3.
Read Full Post »
We figure that the video below is worth checking out for the costumes alone. After you’ve finished watching, please visit this link on the TD Go Green Challenge contest site and vote!
A quartet of passionate UBC undergrad students has submitted a video to the TD Go Green Challenge which outlines their plan to help extend the growing season at the UBC Farm and supply more tasty, local produce to campus year-round. Their vision includes expanding hoop house production, improving storage facilities at the UBC Farm, and delivering produce to campus via a new fleet of cargo bikes and a hybrid electric vehicle. The students and the farm need your support in the form of votes to make this project happen.
The contest closes March 11th, so please vote now, and share with your friends. Merci beaucoup!
Read Full Post »